Saturday, 13 August 2011

Cooking backwards? Whoops~

I hate it when you suddenly realise that even though you've done something a few times before, and it has worked fine, it turns out that you've been doing it the wrong way.

I had that with a chocolate ganache icing I made for some wholemeal chocolate and orange cupcakes. I've made it at least a dozen times before, and it siezed on me (went grainy and hard) when I added the cream to the melted chocolate.

Confused, I consulted Mum, who I bounce off of a lot when it comes to anything culinary, who suggested to add more cream.
With my best mate watching in amused, I proceedly to curse and beat the living hell out of this stupid ganache, adding cream until it because silky and smooth.

I triumphantly spread the rescued ganache onto the cupcakes, though a little voice was in the back of my head nagging me. We all ate one, and they taste amazing.
But while everything tasted great, the ganache ended up splitting. This doesn't affcted the taste, it just means a bit of the fat from the cream comes to the surface, which ruins the shine of the ganache.

After a bit more swearing, I figured out that I've been doing it completely backwards. The 'proper' way is to heat the cream, then pour over the broken-up chocolate and stir until it is melted and reaches the right consistency (thanks Larousse~).

So yeah. That's my fuck-up. But it still tastes good. Bah humbug.

Note: If you want a drinking chocolate with a difference, check out the range from Grounded Pleasures. Their orange-scented drinking chocolate converted me to the pleasures of citrus and bittersweet chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment