Thursday, 18 August 2011

Healer's Market, plus vegan cupcakes~

For a couple of months now, I have been doing the food stuffs for the monthly Healer's Market in Moonee Ponds, while the lovely Sally (who offered me the spot) does awesome coffee and drinks.

It is generally pretty fun, and gives me a rather good outlet for experimental baking, especially concerning dietary requirements. Though after my first market, it because clear that while I had predicted that a mostly-vegetarian menu would be best, a lot of other allergies had been brought up.

So far, I have managed to accomodate for vegans, coeliacs (gluten intolerant/allergy), lactose intolerants, onion intolerants, people who avoid vegetables in the nightshade family (that one I learned on the job; i didn't expect it!)..
I'm pretty happy with what I have been able to put up. But finding something sweet and portable for vegans, apart from a very easy gluten-free vegan shortbread (which I will post at a later date), was beginning to shit me. I'm stubborn, what can I say.

So, I bit the bullet, and tried a simple vegan cupcake recipe. The idea of doing a cake without egg did my head in a teensy bit, but the result left me giggling like a little kid. I was very excited!

Cinnamon vegan cupcakes  -  makes 10

Dry ingredients:

1 1/2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup castor sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
 1/2 tsp baking soda (bi-carb soda)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Wet ingredients:

1 cup soy milk
1 1/2 tsp apple cider  vinegar
1/3 cup rice bran oil (vegetable, canola or sunflower seed would work also)
2 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
  1.  Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 12 capacity muffin tray with patty pans
  2. Measure up all ingredients, wet ingredients in one bowl, dry in another. 
  3. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Beat until smooth.
  4. Place 2 tablespoonfuls of batter into each patty pan, or until filled 3/4 of the way up
  5. Into the oven on the middle shelf, for 20 minutes, or until golden and a skewer comes out clean
The result? Beautifully risen cupcakes! Quite moist, perfectly lovely normal cake taste..Everyone is happy.

.. Okay, except the coeliacs, soy intolerants,  OKAY OKAY.

Anyway. I also iced them with a vanilla glaze, because I was dead tired and lazy. 

Icing sugar, with 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste, hot water and a tiny bit of lemon juice. I find lemon juice really brings out the white in the icing, and adds an almost sherbet-y taste.


Also YAY FIRST RECIPE.

3 comments:

  1. ooooomnomnom, I want to try making those, the sound delicious ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. They taste awesome! A little bit more dense than a normal cupcake, but I like that anyway. ^.^

    But still fluffy. Can't believe it worked with no eggs. Seriously awesome.

    ReplyDelete