Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Baking to de-stress, orange & polenta cookies.

So I've been tackling the fun task of applying for jobs. This has been stressing me out, as indeed it tends to stress anybody out, so a bit of baking was in order to calm my nerves and my sweet tooth.

.. The only problem being that I seem to have a sudden shortage of ingredients. No cinnamon, no self raising flour (not a big deal, but still annoying), none of my favourite margerine.. I was stumped for a little while. Not to mention my brain was still screaming "WORKWORKWORKJOBSARGH" at me.

After checking a few cook books, I settled on a recipe from a book called 'High Tea: Recipes with a sense of occasion', which is full of awesome slice cakes, fancy little petit fours, brownies, cookies, etc.
I wanted something sweet, but not sickening, with more of a cake-ish texture than a snappy-biscuit.

These turned out exactly as I hoped, nice and light, lots of citrus and the polenta adds a nice texture sensation.

Orange and lemon polenta cookies  -  makes 18

Ingredients:

125g unsalted butter or margerine, softened
80g caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten  (I used duck eggs, as I had them and they are fabulous for baking <3)
165g plain flour
80g fine polenta
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Line two baking trays with baking paper
  2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar, zest and vanilla until light and smooth
  3. Gradually add the eggs, beating thoroughly. If the mixture splits, add a tablespoon of flour and beat to combine
  4. Add the flour and polenta bit by bit, until all combined and it forms a sticky dough
  5. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle, and proceed to pipe into 10cm long cresent shapes., leaving a 2cm gap between each
  6. Put into the oven for 15 minutes, until golden and coloured on the base
  7. Allow to cool on the tray for a minute or so, then transfer to a wire rack.
  8. Enjoy with a cup of strong coffee or tea.






4 comments:

  1. Do you need more duck eggs? Or cute little bantam eggs for non-baking projects? We are overflowing! And we have no cartons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, busy birds! I'd love more duck eggs, hell, any eggs, but I don't know when I can collect them! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saturday afternoon (or I could get them into Carlton Saturday morning) or Sunday morning? Bringing your own cartons would be clever...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm busy both days, unless you want to give some to Ann at ballet tomorrow.. >.< But I'll start saving some egg cartons for you!

    ReplyDelete