And.. maybe watching some 'Kitchen Nightmares'. It's a guilty pleasure.
I felt like something sweet, but healthy, so I turned to my favourite muffin recipe and baked these for the family to enjoy. The weather is still switching from rainy and windy, to sunny and full of Spring, but these have hit the spot as usual.
This is my favourite muffin recipe. Wholemeal or white flour, brown sugar or caster, frozen berries or dried fruit, this recipe is reliable every time I use it. It is simply wet ingredients into dry, and the batter can be whipped up in under 10 minutes~
Wholemeal date and bran muffins - makes 10 medium sized muffins
220g wholemeal self raising flour
120g brown sugar (I didn't have any castor sugar, either will work)
100ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
150 added flavourings (in this case, 100g chopped dried dates and 50g bran cereal)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a muffin tin with 10 patty pans
- Put flour, sugar and dates into a bowl and mix together
- In another bowl, mix oil, egg, milk and vanilla together until well combined
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mixed together gently. A lumpy batter makes a light muffin, so use a folding motion and don't beat too roughly
- Lastly add the bran and fold through gently
- Fill the patty pans 3/4 full, or with a heaped tablespoon
- Into the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean from the centre.
- Enjoy warm with a cup of tea, best on a rainy day~