Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Under the weather.

Bluh.

It is that time of year again. Hayfever, colds, stomach bugs.. All coming out to play. I love Spring, don't get me wrong, but it always seems to attract the bugs that skipped Winter. Not to mention pollen is everywhere, the windy days pick up dust, and the sun starts getting a real bite to it.

I try to avoid taking medication for colds and stomach problems and the like, since I take regular medication already. So I generally like to pick up natural remedies, within reason, and give them a go.

The ones that I really believe in are, much to my pleasure, tea related.

For heartburn or reflux, I take some fresh spearmint leaves steeped in boiling water. I prefer spearmint of pepper or normal mint, as it has a natural sweeter flavour, and isn't too strong.
You can leave the leaves in if you wish, but either way, the resulting tea has that menthol cooling effect, and it takes the edge off the acidic burn.



 For relief from cold, flu, hayfever or sore throat symptoms, I drink one of my favourite mixtures. 
English breakfast tea, strong, with heaps of lemon and a teaspoon of honey. 
The only 'must-dos' with this, is the lemon juice has to be fresh, not plastic stuff, and you must drink it hot, or as hot as you can stand it. It soothes the throat, helps any mucus build up move along, and if you have any fresh ginger, grate some i to add extra flavour, and to help fight off the bug.
This amber liquid is also one of my favourite drinks in general.

1 comment:

  1. I often steep garlic and ginger in boiling water and add honey to taste. It doesn't taste as bad as it sounds, and often really helps.

    ReplyDelete