Saturday, 19 November 2011

Moving along.. Super-easy chocolate truffles.

The last week or two have been a time of relaxation and rebuilding, for me. I've been thinking a lot (which hurts), trying to exercise even more, and sorting out things with people and myself.

Soooo, of course, along the way, I need sustenance. And at this point and time, it is chocolate I want. And not in any sort of practical amount, I want full-on chocolate. I want chocolate with chocolate, with more chocolate.

.. Yes, I know,  kind of counter-acts the whole 'exercise and health' thing. BUT. I have been good. I haven't started wallowing in cocoa and deliciousness. I have been (somewhat) restaining myself.

That being said, I made some chocolate truffles a while ago, and while I have made them before, these ones came out the best. Getting the ratio of chocolate and cream has been my issue in the past, and due to different recipes (and my sieve-memory), things haven't always gone.. Quite right. Chocolate seizing is not pretty, or tasty.

For an easy chocolate fix, for munchies or for a gift for someone, make chocolate truffles yourself. All you need is 4 ingredients, and some time for them to set.

Dark chocolate truffles   -   makes roughly 20

Ingredients:
375g packet dark chocolate chips (70% cacao is tastiest)
180ml thickened cream
1 tbsp port, or other liquor like it
Cocoa for dusting (if you have to use hot chocolate in place of cocoa, make sure is it good quality)

Method:
  1.  Place the cream and chocolate in a large stainless steel bowl. Have another bowl or glass dish ready
  2. Bring a small pot of water to the boil. Fill it only about a third of the way
  3. Take the pot off the heat. When the water has stopped boiling, then place the stainless steel bowl on top of the pot. Do not let the water touch the bowl directly
  4. Stir the chocolate and cream together occasionally with a spatula, unti melted together. Add the port and stir in until completely combined
  5. Pour the chocolate mixture into the glass dish. Allow to cool to room temperature, then plac ein the fridge to set, for about an hour or two
  6. When the mixture is firm enough to touch and not stick, pour a good amount of cocoa powder onto a plate or chopping board
  7. Roll teaspoonfuls of the chocolate mixture into balls in your hands, then roll them in the cocoa powder. If your hands start to heat up too much, wet them with a small amount of water in between
  8. Store them in the fridge. Give as gifts, or eat with any excuse
This recipe works with milk chocolate as well, as well as variations of cocoa. My favourite combo was dark chocolate, with port, rolled in chilli cocoa powder. 
The important part is the ratio: any amount of chocolate, half the amount of cream.

 And pardon the typos, so tired. Bluh.

No comments:

Post a Comment