Wednesday, 9 November 2011

October madness.

.. So. October was a crazy month. Not just for me, it seems, but for everyone I know. Full of ups and downs, it is a month I half want to forget, and half want to celebrate.

The downsides are typical, but were painful for me. Same as before, looking for work stressed me out to the point of a breakdown (followed by lovely heartburn, ugh), and I had to reconsider my future and life, and my choices.
My girlfriend has been stressed to her eyeballs, finishing her advanced diploma of fashion. I've tried to be supportive, as well as realistic, and frankly, I can't decide who is going to be more relieved when the course is over.

I tend to worry about my friends a lot, some of whom are going through the same fun of looking for work, which I can really sympathise with. Then there's health problems, not just mine, but some members of my family as well.

But that's the downsides. Getting those off my chest and talking about these things with people has been one of the better aspects of this ugly October.

Now, the best parts of the month:
  • Two friends and I went to see Blind Guardian in concert. It was, in a word, amazing. They played one of each of our favourite songs, and the gig left us all with sore necks from headbanging, as well as sore throats for the next few days.
  • I had some catering work to do! The lovely Katie from 'Sew, Cook, Laugh' gave me the pleasure (and the excuse) to bake up a storm, once for some gluten-free sweets for her brother's wedding, the second time to do the desserts for her hubby's birthday.
  • I've had some lovely products to work with. Katie has been supplying me with duck eggs (and chicken, but the duck eggs are the best), which make the most amazing baked goods I've been practicing (tee hee) my steak-cooking skillz with gorgeous meat from LaManna Direct in Essendon, and I've been raving about Henry Langdon's awesome spices and cocoa so much I think I'm going to explode.
  • Even though it was techincally September, I got to bake for my sister's birthday, and made a silly-but-delicious gluten free, dairy free chocolate cake, which was one of the tastiest gluten-free things I've made. Dense and moist, with rich creamy chocolate frosting, I was really proud of it.
  • I've been indulging my nerdy side and playing more videogames, and loving it. Replaying BioShock (1 and 2) has been providing me with plenty of fun suspense and brick-shitting moments.
    RockBand has been great for getting out energy and getting a bit of exercise, and I've been hanging out with a good mate and learning to play fighting games again. I might even be enterting a small local tourny next time it is on! Fun stuff~
Also, I have applied to study patisserie next year! I can't wait to start. 

Things are looking up now. I'm taking time out from looking for work, and focusing on my health and my own pleasure. I needed a wake up call, and I got it, so now I'm looking forward to what I want to do in future.

Now, pictures from the aforementioned fun. Onward, toward 2012~

Some of the catering I did. The desserts for the birthday, including choc cheesecake, profiteroles, trifles, and the best lemon cake (thanks Mum <3).
Also,gluten free jam tarts from the wedding. I was so proud of these! Om nom.

 

A beautiful but GIANT duck egg.

  

A porterhouse steak from LaManna, cooking in my favourite pan. Mmm, griddle marks.

 
One of Katie's chicken eggs. I like making them stand up. Hee.


My sister's gluten free, dairy free birthday cake! This was fun to make, and delicious to boot.
Tee hee.

1 comment: